Skin irritation and inflammation can occur from free radicals, sun exposure, smoking cigarettes, eating unhealthy foods, and pollution.
It can also occur from using hot water, cold water, harsh soaps, and over-scrubbing the skin.
And it can just as well occur from irritating ingredients in cosmetic products.
Why is irritation and inflammation so bad for you?
Because it can result, amongst other things, in:
- Collagen and elastin breaking down
- The skin’s immune system suffering
- Increasing oil production
- The outer protective barrier of the skin being stripped, which can open the door to more bacteria entering and causing you even more breakouts.
And you don’t have to feel any irritation for damage to be happening, because a lot of it can happen under the skin’s surface, without you noticing until years later.
Therefore, it’s important to be aware of whether the products you use contain irritating ingredients. Best if they don’t.
Here are some examples of common ones to watch out for:
- Alcohols (though there are some exceptions)
- Citrus juices and oils
- Excessive fragrance
- Menthyl lactate
- Sodium lauryl sulfate
- Witch Hazel
Likewise, it’s good to use a product that contains good anti-irritants, which help your skin heal from external causes of irritation in the environment.